I presented a sketchbook for a project I am working on called “Brown Bread Tastes Like Punishment” at the monthly Working Class Creatives Database online Zoom crit, and below is the feedback and the references I was given by other members of the WCCD on the call.
- “Like the text and drawings- text is very punchy”
- “Beautiful drawings”
- Could I use the designs elsewhere- i.e. prints or zines?
- Drawings capture a moment and record a memory- Ross said that the drawings triggers his own memories of his mum doing all kinds of diets, so viewers might have their own memories brought up when viewing the work, bringing their own things to it
- drawings might be good with textures- paper mache, or ceramics like I showed on the Zoom call
- try lots of things- film/prints/zines/sculptures/animation
- catharsis through the physical act of making, versus the act of showing the work to others and opening yourself up to the feedback/criticism of others
REFERENCES TO CHECK OUT:
- Lucy Sparrow
- Jo Spence
- Heather Philipson
- Lindsey Mendick
- Mystical Femmes
- Mr Bingo
- Sharona Franklin
- Victoria Sin- drag artist, Glitch Feminism
- “Virus” by Linda Stupart, gender, body, fatness
Some really helpful feedback that definitely made me feel more confident about this project as a whole- I entered the crit feeling like I didn’t have much to show and was unsure where to go with the project and ended up leaving it feeling much more confident in the ideas behind it, and possible avenues to take with it.