We visited a ceramics studio this morning, and it was inspiring to see that there are so many artist run spaces like this around London- this one is a bit far for me to travel, but would be useful for my classmates based in North London.
Anka Gallery- Aaron Scheer
- mostly multimedia and digital art
- organises regular shows and exhibitions, 4 students a year are offered a show
- bulldog clips used, and plain black frames for smaller pieces
- using screenshots and layering them on iPads and phones
- main themes are digital, interaction with the digital
- challenging ideas of art through the gallery space
- easier to sell print based work than screen based work
- commercial gallery
- authenticating the digital artwork- i.e. USB with a video artwork, limited edition, with a certificate of authenticity
- how do you value digital art? When there is no “1st edition” or “original” how can you market and sell the work?
- the value is often in the certificate of authentication
- VR works, film and animation on screens
- not a commercial gallery- aim isn’t to sell work
- online programme, events, shows
- Arts Council funding
- open calls, always open to proposals
- paid internships
- looking for artists to run workshops for adults and children
At this point my work isn’t very digital, and when I do use digital technology it tends to be a means to an end, rather than something I consider to be work by itself. I think this exhibition has opened my eyes up to the possibilities though, especially regarding the VR work- it was super immersive and it makes art more accessible to a wider audience, which is definitely something I’m interested in exploring further in my own work. The work was very thought provoking but also quite playful, and reminded me a lot of video games. I think I might need to reconsider my stance and explore the digital a little more in regards to my own practice, so it’s food for thought! I spoke to the curator of the gallery whilst we were visiting this gallery, and she seemed keen to get me in to run an event in future- I got her email address and I plan on getting in contact with her sometime soon.